Maths at Hillmead
At Hillmead we follow the National Curriculum, which was introduced in September 2014 with a number of changes.
The main changes from the previous curriculum include:
- Larger numbers are introduced earlier than they were previously.
- Times Tables are to be known fully (12x12) by end of Y4.
- Formal written methods for calculations are to be introduced earlier.
- Standard units of measurement are to be introduced earlier.
- There is now a large focus on fractions.
- Probability is no longer in the Primary Curriculum.
- Roman numerals are to be taught in Years 3, 4 and 5 (up to M).
- Shape, Space & Measure renamed as ‘Geometry – position and direction’ and ‘Geometry – properties of shapes’, along with ‘Measurement’.
The documents below outline the Maths curriculum taught in each year group: